EEG: Property Verification
We know many things about the world around us. For example, we know that leaves are green, roses are thorny, and ice cream is sweet. However, very little is known about how we represent all this knowledge in our memory system. The current study aims to investigate what happens in our brain when we thing about different properties of an object.
During my experiment, you will see three words in a row. The first two are properties (green, round) and the third one describes an object (cactus). Your task is to respond only if the two properties are inconsistent with the object. During this task, I would like to measure your brain responses to the stimuli using electroencephalography (EEG).
Throughout the experiment, you will be asked to wear a cap of electrodes. Each electrode will be filled with a gel. The electrodes will record your brain’s electrical activity. You will probably want to wash your hair after the experiment, as the gel will go onto your hair. We have a bathroom and everything needed for that.
In total, the experiment will take 60-80 minutes. We would like to compensate you for your participation with 7.50 pounds or course credits.
PLEASE READ THESE EXCLUSION CRITERIA CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO PARTICIPATE!!!
There are a number of reasons why you could NOT participate. Please read these carefully. If any of these apply to you and you sign up anyway, the experimenter might still refuse to test you on the day of the experiment.
- You are NOT a native speaker of British or American English.
- You have braided hair (please note that sensors must be connected to your scalp and so you should also be prepared to remove any hair extensions, weaves or wigs/toupees).
- You are going to dye your hair shortly (1 week) before the experiment.
- You are suffering from a reading disability
- You are suffering from a neurological disorder.
- You are currently suffering from a cold.
- You know that you will not get enough sleep the night before.
- You are not serious about participating in this study.
If you are interested in participating in my experiment, but still have questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Participants can register for 1 slot,
No other pre-requisites.