Dipl.Ing. (Cologne, 1989); PhD Engineering (Glasgow, 1992); Chair of Optoelectronics (St Andrews, 2000); Chair of Photonics (York, 2012)
Summary of expertise
- Photonic Crystals & Nanostructures
- Semiconductor Nanofabrication
- Light-matter interaction
- Head of Photonics group
- Head of Nanocentre Cleanroom
Research Theme Champion for Technologies for the Future: http://www.york.ac.uk/research/themes/technologies-for-the-future/
Research Group: Condensed Matter Physics | Photonics
The aim of my research is to understand and control the light-matter interaction in photonic nanostructures, and to build functional devices that make use of this understanding. Photonic crystals provide an excellent platform for controlling enhanced light-matter interaction, and I am interested in developing them both technologically and conceptually. My activity spans the study of fundamental concepts such as nonlinearity and enhanced light emission to more applied areas such as nanolasers, optical switches and, more recently, biosensors and solar cells.
- Challenging the Limits of Photonics: Structured Light (EPSRC Programme Grant with St Andrews)
- Seamless Integration of Functional Materials for Advanced Photonics (SeaMatics, EPSRC Advanced Manufacturing Grant with Leeds)
- Tackling AMR with Goal‐orientated Thinking across the EPS Disciplines (TARGETED, EPSRC, co-I)
- Alphaflex (InnovateUK, co-I)
- Biophysics of Infection and Immunity: From Molecules to Cells to Tissues (MRC, co-I)
- White Rose Industrial Physics Academy (WRIPA)
- Dr Christopher Reardon, Experimental Officer
- Adam Stroughair, Research Technician
- Dr Andrew Hirst, Project Manager, WRIPA
- Dr Mark Scullion, Post-doctoral researcher ("Structured Light" project).
- Dr Yue Wang, Post-doctoral researcher ("Structured Light" project).
- Christian Schuster, Post-doctoral researcher (“Alphaflex”)
- Graham Triggs, Post-doctoral researcher ("Structured Light" project).
- Daan Stellinga, Post-doctoral researcher ("Structured Light" project).
- Jose Colas, EPSRC DTA, "The electro-photonic silicon biosensor"
- Amna Safdar, Personal PhD studentship, “Nanostructured silicon and perovskite solar cells"
- Lewis Reeves, EPSRC DTA, “SeaMatics” project
- Giampaolo Pitruzzello, Departmental PhD studentship, “A physical assay to inform treatment of urinary tract infection"
- Donato Conteduca, University of Bari, “Hybrid plasmonic-photonic crystal cavities"