The Varieties of Analysis: Conceptions of Analysis in the History of Philosophy
and supported by the British Academy, the Mind Association, the Analysis Trust, the Maison Française, and Taylor & Francis
St. Catherine’s College, Oxford
30 March - 1 April 2005
Programme (4-page Word document)
Wednesday 30 March 2005
11.00 BSHP Management Committee Meeting (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
12.00 - Registration, Mary Sunley Conference Centre
14.00 Opening Address (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Peter Hacker: 'Analytic Philosophy: beyond the linguistic turn and back again'
- Chair: Martin Bell (BSHP Chair)
15.00 Session 1: Russell (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Nicholas Griffin: 'Russell's Early Semantics'
- Bernard Linsky: 'Logical Analysis and Logical Construction'
- Chair: Sean Crawford
17.00 BSHP AGM (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
18.15 Wine Reception, sponsored by Taylor & Francis, Publisher of the BJHP (Junior Common Room Lounge)
20.30 The 'On Denoting’ Centenary Lecture, sponsored by the Mind Association (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Peter Hylton: '"On Denoting" and the Idea of a Logically Perfect Language'
- Chair: Dorothy Edgington (President of the Mind Association)
Thursday 31 March 2005
9.00 Session 3A: Geometrical Analysis (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Marco Panza: 'From Intra-configurational to Trans-configurational Analysis, or from Pappus to Viète: The Origins of Modern Mathematics'
- Petri Maenpaa: 'Analysis of inductively defined configurations: A generalization of configurational analysis'
- Patrick Byrne: 'The Modern Return to Analysis: Viète and Descartes'
- Chair: Danielle Macbeth
Session 3B: Wittgenstein's Tractatus (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Maria Cerezo: 'Two conceptions of analysis in Wittgenstein's Tractatus'
- Dawn Phillips: 'The Paradox of Analysis in the Tractatus'
- Andreas Blank: 'Analysis, Elucidation, and the Descriptive Nature of Philosophy in the Early Wittgenstein'
- Chair: Edgar Boedeker
11.30 Session 4A: History and Philosophy of Science (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Volker Peckhaus: 'Analysis and Invention: From the ars inveniendi to the Context of Discovery'
- Brigitte Falkenburg: 'Analysis and Synthesis in Modern Physics'
- Chair: Sarah Hutton
Session 4B: Collingwood and Ryle (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Giuseppina D'Oro: 'Collingwood and the Idea of Philosophical Analysis'
- Charlotte Vrijen: 'The Development of Philosophical Analysis in the Work of Gilbert Ryle'
- Chair: James Connelly
14.00 Session 5A: Frege and Russell (I) (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Jamie Tappenden: 'Analysis and Notation in Frege and his Mathematical Surroundings'
- Erich Reck: 'Frege and Russell: Analyzing the Concept of Number'
- James Levine: 'Analysis and Abstraction Principles in Frege and Russell'
- Chair: Michael Potter
Session 5B: Moore and Conceptual Analysis (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Marion Ledwig: 'Common Sense Philosophy in Reid, Austin, Searle, Moore, and Wittgenstein'
- Consuelo Preti: 'Moore's Early Theory of Judgment: A Reconsideration'
- Bo Petersson: 'The Uppsala School and Conceptual Analysis'
- Chair: Derek Matravers
16.30 Session 6A: Kant and Wittgenstein (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Robert Hanna: 'Kant, Wittgenstein, and the Fate of Analysis'
- Chair: Hanjo Glock
Session 6B: Analysis in the History of Philosophy (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Alan Nelson: 'Russellian and Moorean Analysis in the History of Philosophy'
- Chair: Vivienne Brown
17.15 Session 7A: Analytic Philosophy in the History of Philosophy (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Alan Richardson: 'Synthesizing "Analytic Philosophy": Historical Remarks on a Curious Name'
- Chair: Alex Barber
Session 7B: Quine (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Heikki Koskinen: 'Logical Analysis and Its Ontological Implications in Quine'
- Chair: Alex Orenstein
18.00 Session 8: C. I. Lewis (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Thomas Baldwin: 'C. I. Lewis and Pragmatic Analyticity'
- Chair: John Rogers
19.00 Conference Dinner
Friday 1 April 2005
9.00 Session 9A: Bolzano (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Sandra Lapointe: 'Bolzano's Semantic Analyses and the Austrian Logistic Turn'
- Chair: Carolyn Price
9.00 Session 9B: Frege and Russell (II) (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Norma Goethe: 'Frege and the remains of the axiomatic tradition'
- Omar Nasim: 'Russell's Notion of Philosophical Analysis and Edwardian English Philosophy'
- Chair: Denis McManus
9.45 Session 10A: Conceptual Analysis and Concepts (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Chris Daly: 'Conceptual Analysis Meets Prototype Theory'
- Michael Blome-Tillmann: 'Conceptual Analysis and the Concept of Truth'
- Chair: Carolyn Price
10.00 Session 10B: Phenomenology and the Linguistic Turn (Mary Sunley Seminar Room)
- Christophe Alsaleh: 'Analysis, Austinian Linguistic Phenomenology, and Husserlian Phenomenology'
- Marika Hadzipetros: 'The Phenomenological Reduction and the Linguistic Turn'
- Chair: Cristina Chimisso
11.30 Session 11: Analysis in the Analytic and Phenomenological Traditions (I) (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Leila Haaparanta: 'The Method of Analysis in Phenomenology and Analytic Philosophy'
- Dermot Moran: 'Husserl's Methodology of Concept Clarification'
- Chair: David Roden
14.00 Session 12: Analysis in the Analytic and Phenomenological Traditions (II) (Mary Sunley Lecture Theatre)
- Paul Livingston: 'Husserl and Schlick on the Logical Analysis of Experience'
- Amie Thomasson: 'Analyzing Meanings in Mind and Language'
- Chaise longue: Mike Beaney
16.00 Conference Ends
Back to the Top