Teresa da Silva Lopes is a Professor of International Business and Business History at the Management School, University of York and Director of the Centre for the Evolution of Global Business and Institutions (CEGBI). She is the President of the Association of Business Historians (ABH). She received her PhD from the University of Reading and was a Post Doctoral Fellow at the Said Business School, University of Oxford. She also has an MPhil, MBA and Licenciatura from Universidade Católica Portuguesa. She has been a visiting scholar at the University of California Berkeley, Columbia University, and École Polytechnique in Paris.
She taught previously at Queen Mary, University of London, Brasenose College, University of Oxford and Universidade Católica Portuguesa. She is currently a member of the International Network of Interdisciplinary Research in Family Firms (NIRFF), a member of The Centre for Globalisation Research (CGR) at Queen Mary, University of London, a visiting research fellow at Universidade Católica Portuguesa, a research associate of the Centre for International Business History and Centre for Institutional Performance at the University of Reading, and an Associate of the Institute of Railway Studies and Transport History.
She is also a member of the Peer Review College of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) in the UK, Peer Review Assessor for the Australian Research Council, and a member of the evaluation panel for Business and Management Studies for the A3ES - Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education in Portugal. Teresa is former Trustee, Chair of the investments committee, and Chair of the communications committee of the American Business History Conference, Treasurer and Webmaster of the Association of Business Historians, and member of the editorial board and reviews editor for the journal Business History. She also has experience working as a consultant in international business strategy, branding, and investment projects.
She has been a member of several academic Review Panels, such as Copenhagen Business School, Denmark; and Management School, Birkbeck College, University of London.
Director of the Centre for the Evolution of Global Business and Institutions (CEGBI)
Supervisor of the Year 2014
Supervisor of the Year Award
Teresa da Silva Lopes achieved a Highly Commended in the Supervisor of the Year Awards 2014. This award is voted for by students and they highlighted her commitment to providing them with the highest levels of support.
Blog (Big Innovation Centre)
'The Penguin in Chains - Brands and Trademarks in an Open Innovation World'
Trademarks, Brands, and Competitiveness
This book examines trademarks and brands, and their historical role in national competitive and comparative advantage and in overall economic growth. The contributors provide an historical account of the contribution of brands in consumer goods to economic growth; examine the development of trademark law, its influence on brand strategy, and reciprocally the influence of strategy on the law; and look at the building and repositioning of individual brands as example of the interplay of law and strategy.
Brands and trademarks are usually discussed from the perspective of marketing. This book draws together scholars and practitioners not only from marketing, but also from business history, law, economics, and economic history to provide a richer understanding of trade marks and competitiveness than has hitherto been available.
Main research interests:
International business history, international business, international marketing and strategy, entrepreneurship and innovation, globalisation and growth and survival of firms.
Brands and branding, intellectual property rights, consumer goods, corporate strategy, evolution of industries, fairtrade, foreign direct investment, governance, heritage studies, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, mobility, multinational enterprises, networks.
Full publications list
Books - Monographs
- Global Brands: The Growth of Multinationals in the Alcoholic Drinks Industry (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007). ISBN 978-0-521-83397-4.
- Internacionalização e Concentração no Vinho do Porto, 1945-1995 (Porto: GEHVID/ICEP, 1999). ISBN 972-96896-2-8.
- Trademarks, Brands and Competitiveness (edited with Paul Duguid) (London: Routledge, 2010). ISBN 978-0-415-77693-6.
Refereed Journal Articles - Published
- 'Trademarks and British Dominance in Consumer Goods, 1876-1914', with Paulo Guimaraes, Economic History Review, Vol.67, 3 (2014):793-817. ISSN: 1468-0289.
- ‘A systems view of corporate diversification’, International Studies of Management and Organization, Vol. 42 (forthcoming,2013). ISSN 0020-8825.
- 'Foreign Direct Investment in high-risk environments: an historical perspective,' with Mark Casson, Business History, Vol.55, No.3 (2013): 375-404. ISSN: 0007-6791.
- Brand protection and globalization of British business', with Mark Casson, Business History Review, Vol.86, No.2 (2012): 287-310. ISSN: 0007-6805.
- 'Behind the Brand', with Paul Duguid, Business History Review, Vol.86, No.2 (2012): 235-238. ISSN: 0007-6805.
- ‘The entrepreneur, ownership advantages and the eclectic paradigm’, Multinational Business Review, Vol.18, No.1 (2010): 71-87. ISSN: 1525-383X.
- ‘Markets, knowledge and trade in brands’, Global Business and Economics Review, Vol.10, No.4 (2008): 449-466. ISSN: 1097-4954.
- ‘Entrepreneurship and the development of global brands’, with Mark Casson, Business History Review, Vol. 81 (Winter 2007);published both electronically and in print after 2008: 651-680. ISSN: 0007-6805.
- ‘Entrepreneurship, brands and the development of global business’, with Mark Casson, Organizacoes e Contexto, 3 (6) (December 2007): 180-213. ISSN: 1809-1040.
- ‘Competing with multinationals: strategies of the Portuguese alcohol industry’, Business History Review, Vol. 79 (Autumn 2005): 559-585. ISSN: 0007-6805.
- 'A piacoktól és hierarchiáktól a szövetségek felé: Értékesítés a globális szeszesital-ágazatban, 1960-2004.', Aetas, Vol.1, No.2. (2005): 29-43. ISSN: 0237-7934.
- ‘The growth and survival of multinationals in the global alcoholic beverages industry’, Enterprise and Society, Vol.4, No.4 (2003): 592-98. ISSN: 1467-2227.
- ‘Brands and the evolution of multinationals in alcoholic beverages’, Business History, Vol.44, No.3 (2002): 1-30. ISSN: 0007-6791.
- ‘A evolução das estruturas internacionais de comercialização de vinho do Porto no século XX’, Revista de História Económica e Social, Série 2, No.1 (2001): 91-132. ISSN: 0870-6077.
- ‘A marca e a internacionalização do vinho do Porto’, with Álvaro Aguiar, Douro – Estudos e Documentos, No.9 (2000): 119-142. ISSN: 0873-389.
- ‘Ambiguous company: institutions and organizations in the port wine trade, 1814-1834’, with Paul Duguid, Scandinavian Journal of Economic History, Vol.47, No.1 (1999): 84-102. ISSN: 0358-5522
- ‘The impact of multinational investment on alcohol consumption since the 1960s’, Business and Economic History, Vol.28, No.2 (1999): 109-122. ISSN: 0894-6825
- ‘Estudo de caso - Poças Junior’, Douro - Estudos e Documentos, No.4 (1997): 337-356. ISSN: 0873-389.
Chapters in edited Books
- ‘Global brands and corporate dominance in consumer goods’, in Birgitte Andersen (ed.), The Intellectual Property Rights Domain in Contemporary Capitalism (London: Routledge, forthcoming).
- ‘Formas de entrada nos mercados internacionais: a evolução dos canais de distribuição de vinho do Porto no século XX’, in François Guichard (ed.), O Vinho do Porto e o Douro no século XX (Porto: GEHVID/Afrontamento, forthcoming).
- ‘A transformação dos mercados de vinho do Porto’, in François Guichard (ed.), O Vinho do Porto e o Douro no século XX (Porto: GEHVID/Afrontamento, forthcoming).
- 'Brands and Competitiveness' in Teresa da Silva Lopes and Paul Duguid (eds.), Trademarks, Brands and Competitiveness (London: Routledge,2010). ISBN 978-0-415-77693-6.
- 'Reading registrations: An overview of 100 years of Trademark Registration in France, the United Kingdom, and the United States', with P. Duguid and J. Mercer, in Teresa da Silva Lopes and Paul Duguid (eds.), Trademarks, Brands and Competitiveness (London: Routledge,2010). ISBN 978-0-415-77693-6.
- ‘Entrepreneurship, Brands and the Development of Global Business’ (with Mark Casson), Mark Casson (ed.) Entrepreneurship: Theory, Networks and History (Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 2009). ISBN 978-1849800396.
- ‘Corporate governance in the global alcoholic beverages industry’, in and Susanna Fellman, Antti Kuusterä and Eero Vaara (eds.), Historical Perspectives on Corporate Governance (Helsinki: The Finish Society of Science and Letters, 2008).
- ‘Instituições, sobrevivência e cresimento empresarial no Vinho do Porto, 1960- 2006’, in Gaspar Martins Pereira (ed.), Douro Contemporâneo (Porto: GEHVID/Afrontamento, 2006).
- ‘Os mercados de vinho do Porto’, in Gaspar Martins Pereira (ed.), O Vinho do Porto (Porto: Afrontamento, 2003).
- ‘Brands, mergers and acquisitions in the alcoholic beverages industry’, in Hubert Bonin et al (eds.), Transnational Companies (Paris: PLAGE, 2001).
- ‘Divide and rule: regulation and response in the port wine trade, 1812-1840’, with Paul Duguid in Terry Gourvish (ed.), European Yearbook of Business History, No.3 (Ashgate: Aldershot, 2000).
- ‘The company you keep: the Port trade in the declining years of the wine company, 1812-1840’, with Paul Duguid, in Alberto Vieira (ed.), Os Vinhos Licorosos e a História (Funchal: CEHA, 1998).
- Creating Wine: The Emergence of a World Industry, 1840-1914 (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2011), in Business History Review, Vol.87 (2) (Summer 2013): 386-389.
- Food Chains: From Farmyard to Shopping Cart, by Warren Belasca and Roger Horowitz (eds.) (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2008), in Business History Review, Vol.83 (1) (2009) : 375-378.
- Tribute to Charles Harvey’, with J. Wilson, S. Toms, J. Press and A. Popp, in Business History, Vol. 50 (2008) No.1: 1-3.
- Strategic and Organization Change – From production to Retailing in UK Brewing 1950-1990, by Alistair Mutch (London: Routledge, 2006) in Business History, Vol.49, No.2 (2007).
- The US Brewing Industry – Data and Economic Analysis, by Victor J. Tremblay and Carol Horton Tremblay (Boston Mass: MIT Press, 2005), in Business History, Vol.48, No.3 (July, 2006): 439-440.
- A indústria Portuguesa e os seus dirigentes, by Manuel Lisboa (Lisboa: Educa, 2002), in Business History Review, Vol.78, No.2 (2004): 170-72.
- Alliance capitalism and corporate management, by John H. Dunning and Gavin Boyd, eds. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2003), in Business History, Vol.46, No.1 (2004): 139-140.
- Brand New: How entrepreneurs earned consumers’ trust from Wedgwood to Dell, by Nancy Koehn (Boston, Mass: Harvard Business School Press, 2001), in Business History, Vol.44, No.2 (2002): 157-8.
- British wine merchants in Porto prior to the Methuen Treaty, by Pedro de Brito (Associação Luso-Britânica, 2000), in Business History, Vol.43, No.4 (2001): 127-28.
- Brand new, by Jane Pavitt (London: V&A Publications, 2000), in Business History, Vol.43, No.3 (2001): 175.
- Guinness 1886-1939: From incorporation to the Second World War, by S.R. Dennison and O. MacDonagh (Cork: Cork University Press, 1998), in Business History Review, Vol.73, No.4, (1999): 771-773.
- ‘Using history to help refine international business theory: ownership advantages and the eclectic paradigm’, working paper 54 (PDF , 196kb) Teresa da Silva Lopes, March 2010
- ‘Shifting Patterns in Marks and Registration: France, the United States and the united Kingdom, 1870-1970’, (with Paul Duguid et al), Centre for Globalisation Research Working Papers, Queen Mary, University of London, No.21 (August 2008). ISSN 1755-5892.
- ‘Global management and the strategic role of brands’, Centre for Globalisation Research Working Papers, Queen Mary, University of London, No.10 (April 2008). ISSN 1755-5892
- ‘Entrepreneurship, brands and the development of global business’, with Mark Casson, Centre for Globalisation Research Working Papers, Queen Mary, University of London, No.2 (September 2007). ISSN 1755-5892
- 'Evolution of corporate governance in global industries: The case of multinationals in alcoholic beverages’, Discussion Papers in Economic and Social History, All Souls, University of Oxford, No. 53 (February, 2004).
- ‘Growth and survival in the alcoholic beverages industry’, Discussion Papers in International Investment & Management, The University of Reading Department of Economics, Vol. XIII, No.292 (2001-2002).
- ‘MNEs and the internationalisation of the alcoholic beverages industry’, Discussion Papers in International Investment & Management, The University of Reading Department of Economics, No.277 (1999).
Other Publications – Conference Proceedings
I have presented at over 50 conferences. Below is a list of some of the publications that resulted from those conferences.
- ‘Economic Integration and the Development of Portuguese Multinationals’, World Economic History Congress, Session Q4.Utrecht, 3-7 August 2009), available on website.
- ‘The eternal lives of brands’, CHARM – Conference on Historical Analysis & Research in Marketing, Conference Proceedings (2007).
- ‘Entrepreneurship, trademarks and the development of global businesses’, with Paul Duguid, International Economic History Congress, session 40 (Helsinki, 21-25 August 2006), available on website.
- ‘Instituições, sobrevivência e cresimento empresarial no Vinho do Porto, 1960- 2006’, Meeting ‘Douro Contemporâneo’ organized by GEHVID, Faculdade de Letras das Universidade do Porto, Conference Proceedings (Porto, May 2006).
- ‘Institutions, leadership and long-term survival: the case of Portugal and alcoholic beverages’, Proceedings of the European Business History Annual Meeting Universitat Pompeu Fabra, CD ROM (Barcelona, September 2004).
- ‘Diversification strategies in the global alcoholic drinks industry’, Competitive paper presented and in the Proceedings of the European International Business Academy, CD ROM (Athens, December 2002).
- ‘Corporate governance in the global alcoholic beverages industry’, in Proceedings of the European Business History Annual Meeting, CD ROM (Helsinki, August 2002).
- ‘Growth and survival in the alcoholic beverages industry’, European Business History Association Conference 2001, CD ROM (Oslo, August 2001).
- ‘Mercados de vinho do Porto no século XX’, Simpósio - A Vinha e o Vinho na Cultura da Europa, Conference Proceedings (Porto, September, 2001).
- ‘Brands and the evolution of multinationals in alcoholic beverages’, in Proceedings from European Business in the Global Network - Annual Conference of the European International Business Academy, CD ROM (Maastricht, December 2000).
- ‘A evolução das estruturas internacionais de comercialização de vinho do Porto no século XX’, in Fátima Brandão, Álvaro Aguiar, Octávio Figueiredo, Rui Pedro Esteves, Carlos Damas, (eds.), Linhas de Rumo da História Económica em Portugal, XX: Encontro da Associação Portuguesa de História Económica e Social, Vol.1 (Porto: 2000).
- ‘A especificidade da marca na internacionalização do vinho do Porto”, with Álvaro Aguiar, 7º Encontro Nacional de Economia Industrial, Conference Proceedings (Vila Real October 1998).
- ‘A importância da especificidade dos activos na internacionalização das empresas portuguesas: o caso do vinho do Porto’, with Álvaro Aguiar, in Actas do II Encontro de Economistas de Língua Portuguesa, Conference Proceedings (Macau, June 1998).
Other Publications – Media
I have been editor of the newsletter of the Association of Business Historians, which is the largest British association in this field. I have also published articles in other academic newsletters such as Business at Oxford, the magazine of the Saïd Business School, and the Newsletter of the European Business History Association. I am listed in the Directory ‘Who’s Who in Business Higher Education’ and have also appeared widely on the news in Portugal as a consequence of having been nominated the ‘Woman of the Year’ in Portugal in 1997.
- 'The Penguin in Chains - Brands and Trademarks in an Open Innovation World' with Paul Duguid, Big Innovation Centre- Blog, Work Foundation (5 December 2011).
- ‘Spirits and beer multinationals invest in wine’, Oxford Analytica (February 2005).
- ‘Forever young: strategy and ownership in the life of global brands’, Business at Oxford, 4 (Michaelmas 2003), 8-9.
- ‘ The growth and survival of multinationals in the global alcoholic beverages industry’ EBHA Newsletter, 18 (2003), 15-18.
- ‘Conference Report for the European Business History Annual Meeting on Business and Knowledge’, EBHA Newsletter, 14 (2002), 19-21.
- ‘Global drink - The evolution of multinational strategies in the alcoholic beverages industry’, Enterprise and Society, Vol.1, No.4 (2000): 838.
- ‘Country Report: ‘Business history in Portugal’, EBHA Newsletter, 9 (1999): 5-6.
PhD - Teaching and Supervision
- Supervision of PhD students
- Interdisciplinary Approaches to Management Research (code: 2780337) - Course Lecturer
- Internal and external examiner of PhD dissertations (in the United Kingdom, Portugal and Spain)
- Internal and external member of Thesis Advisory Panels
Professor Teresa da Silva Lopes was awarded a Highly Commended Excellence Award for the Supervisor of the Year 2014. This was awarded by the University of York, YUSU and the Student's Union at an ceremony in the Roger Kirk Centre, Heslington West on the 11 June, 2014.
Postgraduate - Teaching and Supervision
- Global Marketing (code: 2780370) - Course Convenor
- International Business Strategy (code: 2780366) - Course Convenor
- Dissertation supervision(code: MAN00010M)
Previously Taught Modules
- PhD Programme at the University of Barcelona (PhD)
- PhD summer EBHA school (PhD)
- Multinationals and Global Business (postgraduate)
- International Marketing and Strategy (postgraduate)
- International Business (undergraduate)
- International business Enviornment (undergraduate)
- Marketing (undergraduate)
- Introduction to Management (undergraduate)
- Corporate Strategy (undergraduate)
- Business Policy (undergraduate)
- Financial auditing (undergraduate)
- Advanced Research Methods (undergraduate)
- Understanding Arguments in Management (undergraduate)
- Undergraduate Disseration (undergraduate)
- Supervision of undergraduate, masters and PhD dissertations