Thursday 24 June 2010
University of York
Invited speaker: Roumyana Slabakova
Convenors: Kook Hee Gil, Heather Marsden, Melinda Whong
The objective of this one-day workshop is to explore ways of promoting crossfertilisation between theoretical, second language acquisition research and language teaching research—two related fields that have thus far rarely engaged in dialogue. Specifically, we aim to consider how the findings of generative second language acquisition research might apply to language teaching. The workshop will address the following questions and other relevant topics:
- How can generative L2 acquisition research inform language classroom practice?
- How can specific empirical findings from generative L2 acquisition be applied to language teaching?
- What do language teachers need from theoretical L2 acquisition research?
- What effects do different types of input have on underlying L2 competence?
- How can investigators measure the effects of teaching on underlying L2 competence?