IT Services are introducing Windows 7 on supported PCs across the University over the coming months.
Please note, Microsoft Office 2010 is installed on the Windows 7 machines as part of the Office upgrade project. See the Office 2010 pages for more details:
IT classrooms & study areas
Windows 7 is installed on the PCs in all IT Services classrooms and study areas.
Supported office PCs
A project is underway to upgrade staff PCs to Windows 7.
If you want to find out when your PC is likely to be upgraded, please contact your Departmental Computing Officer (DCO) in the first instance:
You can let us know what you think about Windows 7 by:
- Clicking the feedback icon on the Windows 7 desktop
- Visiting the Windows 7 feedback page
- Completing one of our comments cards
Using Windows 7
- Getting started with Windows 7 at York
- Hints & tips for using Windows 7
- IT Services Knowledge Base (select "Windows 7" category from the drop down list)
If you need help with Windows 7, contact the IT Support Office.
Benefits of upgrading
- Faster log in times
- Lots of nice features - see Hints and tips
- Microsoft have announced their plans to stop support of Windows XP
- Office 2010 is available on Windows 7, but not Windows XP
Help for DCOs
A guide is available to help DCOs with rebuilding XP machines, or setting up new PCs.
Please read it carefully before proceeding.