Centre for Performance Evaluation and Resource Management
CPERM is a research centre within the Department of Economics and Related Studies at the University of York, and is concerned with research in the areas of performance measurement and resource management, and the link between the two, especially in the public sector. Particular areas of research interest include the following:
- the measurement of performance and effectiveness in education and other public services,
- the effectiveness of resources in influencing outcomes in the education sector,
- resource allocation and resource management in health and education,
- resource accounting and resource budgeting in central government,
- the management of capital and labour resources in the public sector,
- the measurement of outputs in public services,
- the economic determinants of health,
- casemix and activity-based costing in health and education,
- risk management in the public and private sectors,
- human capital investment and risk management.
- D.J. Mayston, "Competition and Resource Effectiveness in Education", The Manchester School, Vol. 75, No 1. January 2007, 47-64pp
- D. J. Mayston, Educational Value Added and Programme Evaluation, DfES Research Report RW87, Department for Education and Skills, London, 140pp. December 2006.
- D. J. Mayston, "The Private Finance Initiative in the National Health Service - An Unhealthy Development in New Public Management?", in The Economics of Public Private Partnerships, D Grimsey and M K Lewis (eds), International Library of Critical Writings in Economics. Series Editor: Mark Blang, Edward Elgar, 2004.
- D. J. Mayston, Value for Money, Educational Resourcing and Pupil Attainment, Public Services Productivity, HM Treasure, London, 2003, 27-31pp.
- D. J. Mayston, "Measuring and Managing Educational Performance", Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 54, 2003, 679-691pp.
- D.J. Mayston, Tackling the Endogeneity Problem when Estimating the Relationship Between School Spending and Pupil Outcomes, DfES Research Report 328, Department for Education and Skills, London, 2002, 95 pp., ISBN 1-84185-667-3.
- D. J. Mayston, Evaluating the Benefits of Career Guidance, Centre for Performance Evaluation and Resource Management, York, and Centre for Guidance Studies , 2002, 55pp, ISBN 0 901437 89 1.
- D. J. Mayston, "Private Finance and Opportunities Foregone", in The Role of the Private Sector in the NHS, House of Commons Health Committee, First Report of Session 2001-2002, Volume II, HC308-II, ISBN 021 5003268.
- D. Jesson, Value Added and the Benefits of Specialism, Technology Colleges Trust, London, 2002, 297 pp., ISBN 1-873882-64-5.
- D. Jesson, Comparisons of GCSE Performance between Specialist and Other Maintained Comprehensive Schools, Technology Colleges Trust, London, 2000, 105pp, ISBN1-873882-49-1.
- D.J. Mayston and D. Jesson, Linking Educational Resourcing with Enhanced Educational Outcomes, DfEE Research Report RR179, Department for Education and Employment, London, 1999, 126pp.
- D.J. Mayston, "Casemix and Health Care Resource Allocation", in The Unfinished Agenda - Proceedings of the Eleventh Casemix Conference in Australia, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, Canberra, ACT, Australia, 1999, pp. 200 - 206.
- D Jesson, Value Added Estimates of GCSE/GNVQ Performance in 1998 for Schools in the Technology Colleges Network, Technology Colleges Trust, London, 1999, 15 pp.
- D Jesson, Improving Schools: Performance and Potential, Open University Press, Buckingham, 1999, 168 pp.with J Gray, D Hopkins, D Reynolds, S Farrell and B Wilcox . ISBN (Hb) 0 335 20339 X , (Pb) 0 335 20398 1.
- D.J. Mayston, "Devolved Budgeting, Formula Funding and Equity", Management Accounting Research, Academic Press, vol. 9, 1998, pp. 37 - 54.
- D.J. Mayston, "Disadvantaged Populations, Equity and the Determinants of Health: Lessons from Down Under", in Health, Health Care and Health Economics - Perspectives on Distribution, eds. M. Barer, T. Getzen and G Stoddart, John Wiley, New York, 1998, pp. 53 - 80.
- D. Jesson, "The Role of Performance Data in Exploring Differences in Outcomes at GCSE between Girls and Boys", in A Clark and E Millard, (eds), Gender in the Secondary Curriculum: Balancing the Books, Routledge, London, 1998, pp.131 - 149.
- D. Jesson and Hedger, K. (1998), The Numbers Game: Using Assessment Data in Secondary Schools, Shrewsbury, Shropshire Education Publications, 68pp.
- D. Jesson and Hedger, K. (1998), A Guide to using National Curriculum Assessment Data in Primary Schools, Qualifications and Curriculum Authority, London, 20pp., ISBN 1 85838 296 3.
- D. Jesson and Hedger, K. (1998), A Guide to using National Curriculum Assessment Data in Secondary Schools, Qualifications and Curriculum Authority, London, 20pp.
- D.J. Mayston, "Resource Budgeting, Capital Charging and the Private Finance Initiative", in Resource Accounting and Budgeting, Second Report of the House of Commons Procedure Committee, HC 438, Session 1997-98, The Stationery Office, London, pp. 65 - 71.
- D. Jesson, Value Added Measures of School GCSE Performance: Final Report, The Stationery Office, London, 1997, 44 pp., ISBN 0-85-522617- X.
- D.J. Mayston, "Accounting and Accountability for Infrastructure: Commentary, in Explorations in Financial Control", eds, I. Lapsley and R. M. Wilson, International Thompson Business Press, London, 1997, pp. 240 -244.
- D.J. Mayston, "Educational Attainment and Resource Use: Mystery or Econometric Misspecification?", Education Economics, Oxford Journals, vol. 4, no. 2, 1996, pp. 127 - 142.
- D.J. Mayston, "Capital and Labour Markets for Health", in Reforming Health Care Systems, eds. A.J. Culyer and A. Wagstaff, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 1996, pp. 104 - 133.
- D.J. Mayston, "Health Care Reform: A Study in Imperfect Information", in Welfare and Policy: Research, Agendas and Issues, eds. N. Lunt and D. Coyle, Taylor and Francis, London, 1996, pp. 3 - 20.
- D Jesson (ed), Merging Traditions: The Future of Research on School Effectiveness and School Improvement, Cassell, London,1996, 192 pp., with J Gray, D Reynolds, and C Fitz-Gibbon (eds). ISBN 0-304 33647-5.
- D. Jesson, "The Challenges of School Improvement: Preparing for the Long Haul", in J Gray, D Reynolds, C Fitz-Gibbon and D Jesson, (eds), Merging Traditions: The Future of Research on School Effectiveness and School Improvement, Cassell, London, 1996, with J Gray, and D Reynolds.
- D Jesson, Value Added Measures of School GCSE Performance: An Investigation into the Role of Key Stage 3 Assessments in Schools, 1996, HMSO, London, 13 pp., ISBN 0-11-270947-8.
- D Jesson, Changes and improvements in schools' effectiveness: trends over five years, Research Papers in Education, 1996 , vol. 11, no. 1, pp.35-51, with J. Gray and H. Goldstein.
- D Jesson and D Mayston, Value for Money in Education, DfEE Research Reports, London, Department for Education and Employment, 1995, Report 757, 47 pp.
- D Jesson, A Multi-Level Analysis of School Improvement: Changes in Schools' Performance Over Time, School Effectiveness and School Improvement, 1995, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-31, with J Gray, H Goldstein, K Hedger and J Rasbash,
- D Jesson, Value Added Performance Indicators for Schools, Schools Curriculum and Assessment Authority, London, 1994, 85 pp.
- D Jesson, An Overview of Examination Performance at GCSE and A-Level in a Vale Added Context for Nottinghamshire, Nottingham County Council, Nottingham, 1994, 35 pp., with S Everett and S Farnsworth.
- D J Mayston, Output Indicators in the Public Services, HM Treasury, London, 1994, 98 pp.
Recent discussion papers:
- D. J. Mayston, "Structural Determinants of Cumulative Endogeneity Bias", University of York Discussion Paper, No. 2005-11, 2005. [Abstract] 0511 (PDF , 412kb) [Full Text]
- D.J. Mayston (2002a), "Developing a Framework Theory for Assessing the Benefits of Careers Guidance", University of York Discussion Paper, No. 2002/08, 2002. [Abstract] 0208 (PDF , 428kb) [Full Text]
- D.J. Mayston (2002b), "Evaluating the Benefits of Careers Guidance", CPERM Discussion Paper, 2002. [Full text (PDF , 232kb)]
- D. Jesson (2001), "Selective systems of education - blueprint for lower educational standards?", Discussion Paper for comment [ Full text (PDF , 423kb)]
- D.J. Mayston (2000a), Performance Measurement and Performance Management in the Education Sector, University of York Discussion Paper, No. 2000/40, 2000. [Abstract] 0040 (PDF , 386kb) [Full Text]
- D.J. Mayston (2000b), "Accounting, Information and the Development of Evidence-Based Resourcing Strategies in Education", University of York Discussion Paper, No. 2000/47, 2000. [Abstract] 0047 (PDF , 291kb) [Full Text]
- D.J. Mayston (2000c), "The Economic Determinants of Health Inequalities", University of York Discussion Paper, No. 2000/49, 2000. [Abstract] 0049 (PDF , 446kb) [Full Text]
- D.J. Mayston (2000d), "The Demand for Education and the Production of Local Public Goods", University of York Discussion Paper, No. 50, 2000. [Abstract] 0050 (PDF , 345kb) [Full Text]
- D. Jesson (2000a), "The Comparative Evaluation of GCSE Value-Added Performance by Type of School and LEA", University of York Discussion Paper, No. 2000/52, 2000. [Abstract] 0052 (PDF , 360kb) [Full Text]
Professor David Mayston
Associate Director and Honorary Visiting Professor:
David St John Jesson