Dr Paul A Clarke
Total Synthesis of Natural Products, Prebiotic Chemistry and Origins of Life
Research in the group concentrates on the total synthesis of biologically active natural products such as hexacyclinic acid, phorboxazole A and pinguisenol. In order to construct these complex molecules it is often necessary to design new synthetic transformations and synthetic strategies. Strategies developed by the group include the construction of fused or bridged polycyclic systems by the use of novel transannulation reactions and the synthesis of tetrahydropyran and piperidine containing molecules using pot, atom and step economic (PASE) reactions. To find out more about the group’s activities please visit our website.
Selected Recent Publications
- Synthesis of the ABC-rings of (±)–Hexacyclinic acid.
P A Clarke, A P Cridland, G A Rolla, M Iqbal, N P Bainbridge, A C Whitwood and C Wilson. J. Org, Chem., 2009, 74, 7812
- Efficient Asymmetric Organocatalytic Formation of Erythrose and Threose under Aqueous Conditions.
L Burroughs, M E Vale, J A R Gilks, H Forintos, C J Hayes and P A Clarke, Chem. Comm., 2010, 46, 4776.
- The Asymmetric Maitland-Japp Reaction and its Application to the Construction of the C1-C19 bis-Pyran Unit of Phorboxazole B.
P A Clarke, S Santos, N Mistry, L Burroughs and A C Humphries, Org. Lett., 2011, 13, 624.
- Studies on Transannulation Reactions Across a Nine-Membered Ring: the Synthesis of Natural Product-like Structures.
M Iqbal, R J G Black, J Winn, A T Reeder, A J Blake and P A Clarke, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2011, 9, 5062
- An Asymmetric Maitland-Japp Reaction: A Highly Enantioselective Synthesis of Tetrahydropyran-4-ones.
M Iqbal, N Mistry and P A Clarke, Tetrahedron, 2011, 67, 4960.
- Asymmetric Organocatalytic Formation of Protected and Unprotected Tetroses under Potentially Prebiotic Conditions.
L Burroughs, P A Clarke, H Forintos, J A R Gilks, C J Hayes, M E Vale, W Wade and M Zbytniewski, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 1565.