Arriving and getting about
General information on travelling to York and the University (including maps) is available. Facilities Management have more detailed information on:
Places to eat
There are a number of options on and around campus for meals:
- There are several restaurants and snack and coffee bars on campus. Commercial Services have details of catering outlets.
- There are two pubs serving meals and a shop selling lunchtime sandwiches and hot food in Heslington village [map].
Shops and banks
- At Market Square [map] on campus you'll find:
- a small supermarket, stocking a broad range of food and drink including Halal, Kosher (available on request), gluten-free and fair trade products
- the Student Union shop, selling discounted newspapers, sandwiches, snacks and stationery
- a Blackwell's bookshop and an insurance brokers
- two cash machines
- In Heslington village [map] you'll find:
- a post office
- branches of Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and NatWest banks, all with cash machines
- a village shop selling a range of food and drinks and sandwiches.
- As well as at Market Square and in Heslington Village, there are cash machines at Vanbrugh and Goodricke colleges.
- At Halifax College [map] there is a convenience store selling everyday essentials and discounted newspapers.
- The nearest pharmacies are on the Badger Hill estate and at the top of Melrosegate (links are to directions on Google maps).
There is a health centre on campus. For more information, see http://www.drpriceandpartners.co.uk/. You can look for other doctor's surgeries on the NHS Direct website.
There are four facilities for prayer and reflection on campus.
Multifaith prayer rooms are located in Wentworth College and the Ron Cooke Hub on Heslington East. The Quiet Place is available to all members of the University community for silence, quiet reflection of prayer. The Al Iman Islamic Prayer Room is located in the Seebohm Rowntree building. A number code, obtainable from the Islamic Society, is required to access the room and the nearby washing facilities.
Back to the Top