Health & Safety Consultation Group
HEALTH AND SAFETY CONSULTATION GROUP FOR SUPPORT DEPARTMENTS COMPRISING CAMPUS, COMMERCIAL (including YCP & NYCH), ESTATES AND SECURITY SERVICES
Terms of Reference
- To act as a forum in which staff from Campus, Commercial, Estates and Security Services can raise matters associated with health, safety and welfare within the workplace.
The Directors of DECS, Commercial Services and Health & Safety will always consider suggestions that may help to improve health and safety performance. Any suggestions or recommendations can be made through the Consultation Group Representatives, via Section Team Meetings or direct to Tom Fleming, Jon Greenwood or Jon Meacock.
- To review the statistics for accidents and incidents involving staff from each of the Sections, and to monitor the actions taken by management and staff to prevent recurrence.
- To promote health and safety awareness within the Sections and, on advice from the Director of Health and Safety, to review the channels of communication for the dissemination of information relating to health and safety.
- To monitor, through the ongoing provision of training programmes and other staff development initiatives, that staff have the skills and competencies to comply with health and safety at work policies, procedures and practices set out in the University Health and Safety Policy and the local Health and Safety Statements.
- To review the implementation of the University's Health and Safety Policy and the Health and Safety Policy Statements, with particular reference to the role and responsibilities of staff in the operational support departments.
- To receive updates on safety-related activities arising from the Key Service Meetings.
- To review, as appropriate, the outcomes from internal and external health and safety audits and inspections, and to be given an update on how responsibilities are being discharged and recommendations implemented.
- To regularly review the Sections’ Health and Safety Statements in order to ensure that they meet current need and reflect any changes in legislation, departmental structures or working practices.
- To meet at least twice a year and submit a summary of substantive items to the University Health, Safety and Welfare Committee, for information purposes.
The Group will comprise representatives from Campus, Commercial, Estates & Security Services, including Trades Union Health and Safety Representatives working in those Sections.
The Director of Health and Safety (Tom Fleming), the Health & Safety Officer for the Directorate of Estates & Campus Services (Keith Reynolds), the Campus Services Manager ( Sue Johnston) and the Estates Business Manager ( Wayne Spaven) will be invited to be in attendance at meetings.
Chair of the Group: Jon Meacock, Director of Estates & Campus Services
Secretary to the Group: Marian Porter, Administration Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 2079)
One of the responsibilities asked of Group members is to liaise with and bring forward agenda items on behalf of colleagues, and to report back to them, as appropriate, in order to facilitate item (1) of the Terms of Reference.
So that there is reasonable attendance at meetings, Members of the Group are asked to provide the Secretary with the name of their nominee in the event that they cannot attend a meeting.
Agendas for meetings are normally circulated a week in advance of each meeting and Members of the Group are asked to forward relevant papers and agenda items at least seven working days in advance of the meeting date.
Rev.7 March, 2011