The International Relations Office manages a number of funding schemes to promote international activities.
The following schemes support York membership of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN):
The Research Mobility Programme funds PhD and staff research visits to WUN partner universities.
The WUN Research Development Fund provides funding to encourage York staff to lead or participate in a WUN project. In addition to a local fund, there is a centrally managed fund to support the development of research collaborations within WUN Global Challenge areas. Matching funding is a requirement of this fund, and staff at York are encouraged to apply to the York WUN Development Fund for this.
Under this agreement, FAPESP (Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo) and the University of York will each provide funds to pump-prime joint research projects between researchers at York and at higher education and research institutes in the State of São Paulo, Brazil.
The next call will be in 2014. Research staff at York and at higher education and research institutions in São Paulo are eligible to apply.
Applications involving all subject areas are welcome, and projects may include the exchange of researchers and graduate students.
Applicants should apply separately to their relevant funder. Researchers at York should submit applications to: Harriet.Cross@york.ac.uk
To make an application, please refer to the full call for proposals and the information below.
You will need to complete:
• Researcher Proposal Form Fapesp research proposal form (MS Word , 48kb)
• Researcher’s Registration form Fapesp research registration form (MS Word , 137kb)
(contact Harriet Cross if you need help translating this form)
• Budget worksheets specifically designed for this Call (please enclose detailed budget according to FAPESP standards) Fapesp consolidated budget (MS Excel , 25kb)
For each successful project, FAPESP will provide up to £12K in total (£6K per year) for 2 years to the research partner based in São Paulo.
York’s International Relations Office will provide up to £6K over 2 years (£3K per year) and applicants are expected to match this with £3K per year from their departments.
The total funding available to each project will therefore be £24K. This will be made available during 2012 to 13, and 2013 to 14.
Closing date for Proposals in 2012 was 15 August
Successful proposals notified: 14 September 2012.
The maximum duration of each project is 24 months, non-extendable.
At York, successful applications will:
• Be of the highest academic quality
• Involve partners of proven academic excellence
• Contribute to the strategic international aims of the department and the University
• Demonstrate the potential to build long-term sustainable relationships.
FAPESP is an independent public foundation with the mission to foster research and the scientific and technological development of the State of São Paulo.
You can see a copy of the FAPESP – University of York agreement.
FAPESP produces a daily email in Portuguese, with up-to-date news about Brazilian scientific issues, called Agencia FAPESP. York staff can subscribe to this mailing service via Agencia FAPESP's online registration form. FAPESP has other funding agreements in place e.g, with NERC and GSK. For more information on FAPESP go to: http://www.fapesp.br/en/.
São Paulo is the State with the highest concentration of Universities in Brazil, including:
• USP - University of São Paulo *
• Unicamp - University of Campinas *
• Federal University of São Paulo
• PUC – São Paulo
• UNESP – São Paulo State University *
* Asterisks denote HEIs we have existing links with – research and/or at the central administrative level – and so the IRO may be able to help you to make initial contact at these places.
York applicants should contact Harriet Cross, International Relations Office, Harriet.Cross@york.ac.uk, x2019 with any questions.
External international funding opportunities
York staff only can view the information we provide on external funding opportunities.